Click below to email me now
Hi I’m Mel
I’m a counsellor and I specialise in helping my clients understand, heal and recover from a toxic relationship with a narcissistic or toxic parent.
Do you feel like you are living with the consequences of bad parenting?
Do you think you were treated badly or unfairly during your childhood by your parent?
Has this left you feeling confused and with a low self esteem, but you don’t know what to do about it or how to get over it?
Does your parent still treat you badly even though you are an adult?
Maybe your parent has passed away, but you still seem to be affected by them and you can’t stop thinking about the way they treated you.
Have you been googling ‘narcissism’ and ‘toxic parents’ to try and figure out what’s going on with your mum or dad?
If so, then you might be feeling really alone and confused, frustrated and unable to see a way out or how things can change.
I am a fully qualified and experienced integrative counsellor and member of the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy offering counselling to individuals online.
I also have experience in working with anxiety, depression, low self esteem, rape and sexual abuse, addictions, trauma, confidence building, PTSD and C-PTSD.
Do you think your parent is or was a narcissist? If so, you may have been neglected, abused, or even controlled. Some narcissistic parents will completely ignore and neglect their children, or control every move they make. They also have very little empathy for their children and I know this will make growing up and living a happy life very difficult for you.
Does any of this sound familiar to you?
As a child:
- You felt like you were never good enough
- You were told you were too sensitive or dramatic, that you shouldn’t get so upset about things, and that you should just get over it
- Your parent seemed wrapped up in themselves and their life
- Your parent didn’t seem to care about your feelings
- You felt like you were to blame if things went wrong or your parent was upset
- Your parent was very controlling and manipulative
- Your parent had an addiction or a mental health issue that took over their life, which meant you didn’t get the care you deserved
- You were made to feel bad or wrong if you got upset
- Your needs weren’t met
As an adult:
- You still feel like you are not good enough
- You feel confused, anxious, sad in your relationship with your parent
- You have a low self esteem and low self worth, you feel like whatever you do is never good enough, and you have a need to self isolate and self soothe
- You are still being told that you are too sensitive or dramatic, that you shouldn’t get so upset, and you should just ‘get over it’
- Your parent puts you down, and never celebrates your achievements
- Conversations go around in circles and leave you feeling guilty and upset
- You sometimes doubt your perception of events, and feel like you are going crazy
- You struggle to make decisions and have difficulty trusting your gut instinct or intuition
- Your parent never takes responsibility for their behaviour, instead blaming you or others for their problems or the way things have turned out
- Your parent is very critical, manipulative, controlling and tells lies
- They still don’t seem to care about your feelings or your needs
- Your parent mocks, belittles, and gets angry with you when you try to stand up for yourself
- You feel like you are the one parenting them
- You don’t understand your parents behaviour and you wonder if your parent might have a mental health issue, and you feel like you see a side to your parent that no one else sees
Counselling with me will help you to:
- No longer feel confused or questioning your parents behaviour
- Finally make sense of your childhood
- Learn what was really going on
- Learn why you feel the way you do
- Make sense of your experiences
- Learn new strategies on how to handle things with your parent differently
- Learn how to protect yourself from any future toxic relationships
- Learn how to like yourself and trust yourself again
- Regain that lost self esteem and self worth
- Discover the real you
- Feeling better, calmer, stronger, with a new sense of hope for a brighter future
I am a survivor of narcissistic abuse. I know what it’s like to be in a toxic relationship with a parent and grow up feeling confused and sad. I believed them when they told me it was all my fault, and that they treated me badly because I didn’t deserve any better. For decades the relationship left me feeling worthless and unlovable, and the voice in my head told me I would always feel that way. And yet I still loved them and forgave them, and allowed them to stay in my life.
Then one day I learnt the truth. I learnt that my parent was a narcissist, and that was the day my life changed forever. I no longer feel confused by their behaviour or blame myself for the way I was treated, and I have regained the self esteem and happiness that I should have been allowed to have when I was a child.
I went on a journey of recovery from narcissistic abuse and now I specialise in helping others do the same. I love to teach others the truth about their situation, and it brings me so much joy when I get to witness my clients go on the same journey and the freedom it brings.
I understand that making contact with a counsellor and meeting me for the first time can feel scary. You might not know what to say or how to explain what’s going on for you. Please don’t worry. I am very relaxed and friendly and I will be able to help you get to the bottom of what’s troubling you.
The Next Step
Please email me with a brief reason why you would like counselling and I will get back to you as soon as I can. We can have a chat on the phone and set up a zoom session in our diaries.
Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
My fees are: £45 per 60 minute online counselling session